I'm not sure where I'll end up, but I'll let you know when I get there!

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Oh how easy it is...

ALL MY PHOTOS CAN BE FOUND AT www.flickr.com/photos/jamierushell
How easy it is to re-adapt to the traveller lifestyle. It's a constant whirl of new people, new places, lots of sights, and exhaustive amounts of walking - all while running on as little sleep as possible to stay on your feet. I love it!
New York in 12 hours really isn't very interesting. I definitely want to go back, but once airport and transport times are factored in, I had just enough time to glance at one sight before dashing off to the next one. I started in Times Square after meeting another Seattleite named Ralph on the subway. He kept claiming to know this great breakfast cafe but it didn't seem to exist, so we settled on bad omelets instead. Other than shopping, there's really nothing to do in Times Square except to marvel at the number of people that can fit in such a small place. I was able to nap in Central Park for a short while, which was much needed - I hardly slept on the plane at all. I also got to see ground zero, which was kind of eerie. I could picture people running through the streets I saw on TV and couldn't even imagine what it must have been like. The monument they're building is going to be called the Freedom Tower - who's surprised? I'm not anti-American in any way, but aren't we going a little overboard on this whole freedom-this and freedom-that name thing? Maybe it's just me, but I think it's too much.
I got to the hostel in Dublin at 9am, but I couldn't check in till 2, so I ventured out in the same pajamas I'd been wearing for 2 days, counting down until I could shower. When you start to smell yourself, you know you have a problem. If you don't know much about Irish history, it would be worth reading up on - or rent the movie Michael Collins. I visited Kilmainham Gaol, which started out as the first (unsuccessful) rehabilitation jail in Ireland, but eventually became the place where most political prisoners were held, and a lot of them executed. I know almost nothing of Irish history and I thought it was a really interesting place to be able to see. Being as this is my third trip to Dublin, I've already seen the sights I want to see and this time around I've done a lot of lounging around at St Stephens Green and meeting other travellers. I love to sit and people watch, especially when you get snippets of conversation - you can sit and ponder what they're actually talking about. My favorite snippet I've caught so far went exactly like this: "ok so now this vagina has balls..." hmm the jokes that could be told...
Anyhow, my roommate Lucy and I went out on a pub crawl the other night, where we met 4 guys from another hostel - the Canadians Richie, Gorp, and Rouie (rhymes with Louie), and the Californian George. It was Brazil night at the last bar we went to - there was a band playing traditional Brazilian instruments, but it was still dance music, and a kind of bad DJ with a hat that made him look like Kevin Federline - I tried to steal it but he wouldn't let me keep it :( I'll dance with anyone who wants, but only if they don't touch me - I need my bubble and I wasn't getting it at this place. Finally I got sick of pushing people away, so I jumped up on the stage and danced with one of the band members. He tried to teach me a Brazilian dance, but I think I just embarrassed myself in front of a bar full of people. I'm cool with it though because who else gets to say they learned to dance to Brazilian music in an Irish bar, embarrassing or not!
Tonight I'm venturing to Trim in county Meath to visit my friend Yvette - and Yvette is always a good time! I get to go to a real Irish pub - not the mainstream touristy pubs you find all over Dublin. And after that, it's off to the goat farm! Wish me luck and I'll let you know how my adventures in cheese making go.
Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does this thing know who I am? Damn computers and there knowing crap!! I'm a bit envious already it sounds like quite the adventure.

Alli B said...

So true about falling back into travel mode right away...sounds like it took you only hours to be a full-on backpacker again. I'm so jealous...

Jerry said...

I'm glad everything is going good, and you're having fun. But I think you should stick closer to the goats and farms, and not so much the Canadians and bars. But hey, have fun. Love, DAD